Thursday, February 19, 2009

Eye Opener:CSPI


The cspi website had lots of great information and statistics. I decided I was going to focus on the "Tour the food Supply" section and see what it had to say. Right away, I liked the visual and the fact that it allows you to click on various items such as: slaughter houses, feed lots, feed grains, pesticides, irrigation, fertatize factory, farm factory, animal feed, manure lagoon, super market, restuarant, and hospital. Eachof these things had unbelievable facts that I had no idea about. Some points that really made my stomach churn was how many animals were in fact slaughtered a year. Half an animal forevery man, woman, and child is a little shocking, and 30 birds for every american- unbelievable. After looking at the slaughter house stats, Iwas interesting to see what the hospital was doing on there. It should statistics that shocked me as well. The overall cost of diet related illness is about 90 billion annually. Seriously? That much money could turn an enitre third world country around. It's easy to look around and think I'm living a healthy lifestyle and what we have here in north america is great, but I think it is taken for granted and abused at times. It's scary ti actually know what goes on behind the scenes before your meal hits your plate.

3 comments:

  1. It really makes you think twice before taking a bite of your next burger..Good post. I think there were a lot of intesting facts on that site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    I like the picture of the cow. I can believe the 30 birds per American, we eat chicken a couple times a week at our house. I have to agree that we Americans and you Canadians too, take eating meat for granted. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to know what goes on behind the scenes. That way you can think about what you're eating.

    ReplyDelete