Monday, February 9, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecologial Footprint


Summary of Quiz/Project


With this eye opener project, we had to take some quizzes online at the Earthday website. These quizzes helped us determine what our own Ecologial Footprint was.It was a little cartoonthat gave us a visual of what impact we had on the earth with. It asked very simple questions about how we livedour life day to day. Some of the questions asked, seemed like they wouldn't really matter but in this case everything adds up.


Impact of my Behaviors on the Environment


According to the quiz, my ecologial footprint wasn't very good. It said that if everyone lived like me, we would have to have 4.4 earths to provide enough resources. Also, it said that inorder to support my lifestyle, it's takes 19.4 global acres of the earths productive area.


My Reaction/Behavioral Changes


I found these numberts to be very high and alarming. I have been under the influence that I lived a fairly healthy lifestyle, not only for myself but the environment as well. I guess was wrong. I feel like whenever I see numbers like this, it's because all the little things have added up. When it comes down to it, the little things are what makes the big difference. I think one thing that made my scores pretty high was what I was eating. A lot of the food I have isn't locally grown. I feel that making the extra effort in the grocery store can help.


5 comments:

  1. Sara,
    You are right so many things come down to just doing the little things. It is difficult to do many of those things in our society, we have to actually go out of our way to do the right thing. Hopefully as people become more aware of our environment the little things will become part of everyone's routine and become easier to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Derek. Little things add up! I love that you clearly addressed all points of the assignment by using headings. Easy to follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it was pretty alarming to get a actual visual of what we use on a day to day basis. I agree that the little things do add up. I'm looking forward for the farmers market already in the summer to buy some "home grown" foods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good that we now know how much we use our natural resources. Using 19.4 gobal acres is a lot. I guess the best way to cut down on using so much land is to eat local foods. We are so spoiled as we get to eat foods that are brought in from around the world and around the United States. Southern California provides crops year-round, which makes eating fresh strawberries in winter a much under appriciated feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also very surprised at how high the numbers were. After looking at some of the other blogs, I found some whose numbers were even higher. This really makes me want to change the things I do.

    ReplyDelete