Friday, February 13, 2009

Reflections: Week 3&4

Summary

Over that past 2 week we have discussed a reading from the test from class. It was based on media and how it portrays the enviornment. We learned a little more about blogging (analyitics) and discussed the importance of reader. The other 3 days in class we watched a movie by Al Gore titled "An Inconvenient Truth". It was based on global warming and the changes that are occuring during the present time, and also what we could expect to see in the future.

My Thoughts

I'm going to talk a lot about the movie. I found it really interesting to watch this movie and listen to all the facts that Al Gore had. It seems a little frightening to know what we are doing to the environment and the harmful effects that seem mindless to some. On the other hand, in the backofmy head I was thinking, I wonder what the other side to the story is. One thing I noticed when I was looking at some of his graphs was that they are pretty consistent in movement ( up and down). I'm not saying that I disagree with anything he says because he has lots to back it up. But, I find it ironic how we just read an article on how media is so influencial and can't always be trusted. I know this was a documentary and wasn't produced for economic purposes, but to educate people. Overall I don't know whereI stand,I'm not against what he is trying to do, in fact, I think its great to try and spread awarenessabout global warming, but at the same timeI find documentaries to be bias at times.

5 comments:

  1. Sara,
    You're right, and I didn't think of it, we talk about watching shows and being aware that everything you see isn't always true and then we watch a documentary and we are gung ho about global warming. Dr. V made a good point though, if we do something to help the environment and there isn't really global warming then we haven't hurt anything, but if we do nothing and there is global warming, then what happen to all of us?

    Good points!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some very good points made here. The documentary is very bias on the side of global warming convincing us it to be a true fact. Visual media can be very influential as we sometimes have to see it to believe it. It is good that you pointed out that just because something looks a certain way doesn't mean that it is that way. You are right seeing isn't always meaning we have to belive it. It would have been nice to see the opposite side of the arguement to compare what each side is saying and then take away from it what is the real answer. I have a feeling this topic of global warming is going to go on for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara
    I think you made some really good points. We just read about documentaries being bias and not showing everything, so it really gets you thinking about Al Gore's movie. I think it would be interesting to see the other side of the argument, considering all the things Gore had to back up what he was saying. I think this will be an on going topic that I am truly interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fixed my post settings so you can comment on my blog now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard a few things in the video that I thought may be a little bias, But I like what Dr. V said, "what if he is wrong?" I think even if the video is bias, there is no harm in improving the environment.

    ReplyDelete