Thursday, April 2, 2009

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

So, I was pretty excited about doing this eye opener and had a few neat ideas. I have had my camera for a little over 2 years and had to brush the dust off it once I got started!! Initially, I wanted to do a contrast of how beautiful Duluth is, but how it has it's down falls... The way I had it planned didn't work once the snow fell!

I was sitting at school with Derek and looking around wondering what I could do, he pointed to the garbage cans lined up with the one recycle bin..

For the most part our school did well when I was looking at different areas. Some places had more recycle bins than trash cans, while others have no recyle bins in sight.. When there are no recyle bins available, people are likey to dispose of recyclable material in the trash cans.















Now, I know having recycling bins isn't going to change everyone. Some people would still probably throw recyclable material ina trash can even if there was arecycling bin right beside it, But it will help for the majority of people. Another thing I noticed on a few trash cans was a sign that kind of confused me. After looking at the contents inside these bins, I can tell others are confused as well.


What exactly does this mean? Maybe I'm just oblivious and out of the loop, but for people like me, recycling should be fool-proof. Here's was I found inside this container...

Hmm... doesn't look like new paper to me and theonly thing green in there is a gum wrapper

Overall, having recycle bins is awesome to have around the school and I think wedo a good job with it. The thing that would make it even better is the consitancy and have ZERO confusion..

This hallway was full of recycle bins, 5 to the 1 trash can, maybe we can spread them out a little bit.

The Good Option..

The Better Option...

Hope you all enjoyed the photo essay!! Reduce, Recycle, Re-use!!



6 comments:

  1. Sara,
    What a Great Idea for a photo essay. Well done I laughed a couple times. I have also seen this can with the Newspaper/Greenbar on it and wondered what that is. I never really noticed the garbage in it though!! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems a bunch of people (me included) had other ideas and the snow really messed things up! But I think it was a great idea..looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Tool :) I agree...I am one of those people who are easily confused (wierd) so I hear ya on that one that there should be more clear. You should tell someone about this!!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,

    I admit I havn't been the best at throwing my recyclbale materials into the blue recycle garbage cans. But I do throw away my recyclbales about 90% of the time in the blue garbage cans. It is important to keep reusing plastics as they never biodegrad. It is important to keep advocating for recyclbale products and recycling activities. Very nice reminder for us all. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the creativity with this post. I never noticed this. I also hate it when people throw recycleables in the garbage when the recyling bin is right next to the garbage can.

    ReplyDelete